Friday, March 23, 2012

The "Coop" Deville ... and other fowl humor!

I have given up, raised the white flag, and surrendered the fight against chickens that has been waging for about 10 years.

Each year as spring arrives in our area, I get a phone call, a text, or a picture text sent to me. The tagline usually reads..... PLEASE? And when I say every year, I mean every year. Like clockwork... out of the blue... I get a "PLEASE?" text and know that my sweet, abnormally sexy husband "Haughtry" is at I.F.A.

The conversation then goes like this:
 "Isn't it cute? "
'no' 
"WHAT? how can you think it isn't cute? it's so tiny and fluffy, I just want a few!"
  'no-big sigh'
"Babe, think about it! Chickens! Running everywhere, hanging out in the backyard, chickens are freaking cool, how can you not want one?"
  'big long deep sigh' 
"Seriously, think about it, our own eggs! We wont starve! If anything ever happens, we can kill them and eat them! They are only eighty nine cents, you can't even buy eggs for that! HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT A CHICKEN?" 
'(flat tone) Hot's I've had chickens remember? I hated them. I hated collecting the eggs, I hated the smelly coop, and the rooster was the DEVIL, I can honestly say I don't want chickens and feel fine about it!'

LONG DRAMATIC PAUSE 

" You are robbing our children of the experience, YOU got to have a cool farm experience, YOU got to gather eggs and milk cows, I DIDN'T, THEY HAVEN'T, what if they LOVE it?" 
'What if they don't, then what?' 
"FINE I WONT GET A CHICKEN, YOU ARE NO FUN!" 
'K, have a good rest of the day at work ok?' 
(pouting)
 "K see you tonight.... wait!" 
 'what?'
"Can I get a duck then?" 

'GOODBYE JASON!'

Now I act all huffy, and pissy (let's not forget the GOAT experience!)

 But truthfully? This is one of the things I love about Jason. He is like a relentless kid closing in on Christmas. And he loves animals. Especially cute little fluffy chicks, every year those little "eighty nine cent" devils call to him from I.F.A. and he absolutely cannot resist... so he goes on his lunch hour and dreams of big farms with crazy chickens running everywhere. Well guess what? 

JASON'S DREAM IS COMING TRUE! 

Yes, this 2012 spring season will bring teeny little fluffy chick's to my garage, while they warm themselves into grown chickens...who then will move into their coop.

 And that is where I come in. I get to choose the coop to be built.  No thrown together pile of wood coop for me... If we are doing this? We are doing it MY WAY. 

And I WILL have the Coop Deville.

SO I started my quest. And found the coop of my dreams...of course we will modify it a bit to our liking, but here it is...roughly. 

I have given in, and gone into crazy coop design mode.
Say hello to the

 "Urban Chic house for Chicks."
( Which I might add has been tastefully borrowed by one of my new favorite bloggers Karen)


See the whole beautiful coop on the original blog The Art of Doing Stuff. Karen is freaking amazing.

And to my sweet husband and absolute hottie...  Get ready for an even bigger hothouse of chicks! LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment